Weddings In Jesus' Day!!

Discussion in 'Relationships Repository' started by PureOxygen, Jan 21, 2008.

1. PureOxygen

PureOxygen New Member

I was talking with a friend just today about how the Jewish marriage ceremony worked. I couldn't recall exactly how it was done, so I did some research (re-research? :tongue: ) It's very interesting and I think knowing about this topic will help deepen our understanding of what Jesus was talking about when He made references to the bridegroom and such in His teachings :)

I've included several links, but I felt this particular site gave a good layman's explanation/summary of the overall picture:

http://www.milechai.com/judaism/jewish-marriage.html
    http://www.interfaithfamily.com/lif.../The_Jewish_Marriage_Contract_(Ketubah).shtml
  2. LauraNicole

LauraNicole Well-Known Member

I was reading a book by Rob Bell (and I think that it was Sex God), and he talked about it. When the groom would make a toast at the engagement ceremony, he was talk about how he would return to his father's house to build a room for them.

So when Jesus said that (in John 14:2), people back then got the reference right away.
    PureOxygen and (deleted user) like this.
  3. Damaris

Damaris Lovely Lady Staff Member

Thank you for posting this. It fits so well into the writings of the Bible, where it is said that Jesus, our bridegroom, shall return someday, and we are to prepare ourselves for His coming. He has gone to "prepare a place for us" and when He takes us back with Him there will be a great wedding feast, and after that we will live with Him forever.

This explanation, taken to heart, is well applied to our lives in relationship to Christ.
  4. justified

justified Prophet/Prophetess

I knew most of that stuff but it was good to read about it again. Thanks for posting it.
  5. HisPrincess87

HisPrincess87 New Member

Oh wow, that was really interesting! I didn't know alot of that...wow...