Does the holy spirit make you cry?

Discussion in 'Christianity Questions' started by Kinga, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Kinga

Kinga New Member

I know this might seem like a stupid question, but recently since i've been growing closer to the Lord i've been crying a lot more. Like i'll be listening to a song and i'll just start crying, even though im happy, and I don't even have a reason to cry lol. Or i'll be reading someones testimony and i'll start crying, or when I think about how blessed I am. Thats the holy spirit right? Or when im worshipping i'll get these chills down my spine. Thats him too? This has happened to me a lot, but for some reason today it intrigues me, its just so powerful.
  2. Queen Esther

Queen Esther Prophet/Prophetess

Yes, I have experienced crying more as I have grown closer to the Lord. :) I think it's because in growing closer to God we are more emotionally in tune to His heart. I don't necessarily think that chills down your spine is the Holy Spirit because I experience that when the temperature of the room changes.
  3. Preacher of KJV

Preacher of KJV New Member

I love the feeling of a good cry as you grow closer to God. There's just nothing like it. Yes, it is the holy spirit.

Now, like Queen Esther said, chills running down your spine can be caused by the temperature change, but I do experience chills running up and down my spine a lot during a service too. So I would say sometimes it could be the holy spirit. If your comfortable with the temperature, it most likely is. I've gotten chills in both cases.
  4. Kinga

Kinga New Member

Yeah I get the chills down my spine even when im not cold, like usually its RIGHT when I start singing a worship song. But thanks for the verification guys, this is such a wonderful thing, im so excited to to get closer and closer to God.
  5. Damaris

Damaris Lovely Lady Staff Member

"Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up." ~ James 4:9

The Bible doesn't say crying is of the Holy Spirit, but it does talk about godly sorrow out of repentance (2 Corinthians 7:9-13) and many other kinds of grieving that I do not currently have time to go into. I have found that the closer I walk with the Lord, the more I share in His grief, just like close friends on earth share in each other's grief. And the more He perfects me in holiness the harder I weep in repentance over my sins and at the understanding of Christ's sacrifice on the cross and the greater I consequently rejoice in His forgiveness.
  6. Rayesistance

Rayesistance New Member

The manifestations of the Holy Spirit come in all kinds of varieties. Shaking, crying, "roaring", shouting, falling down, etc... Me personally I'm a Cryer. Like ill be driving in my car and God touches my heart with a song or an image or just the enviroment around me and BAM im crying.

I think with the testimony thing though you have to make sure its not just your emotions controling you from a heart place because you know the pain that they went through or that you went through and then naming that emotion "god"---I say this because at one time way back when i realized i was misrep'in God like that.

LOL! yay chills! I get like this whole chills down my spine thing and then when im in intense prayer or spiritual warfare my whole body like twitches lol. I swear I feel like if I was God and I was watching me I'd be like "hey.. shes doing the funky chicken!" :biggrin:
  7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Crying and goosebumps

I was just searching the net trying to find information about why I bawl my eyes out in church, or even sometimes when I pray or listen to particular gospel songs. I came across this forum and just had to leave a comment. I noticed several people talking about getting goosebumps or chills... I started experiencing the same thing about 2 years ago. It just started out of the blue, and only when I was involved in an activity that involved God. Whether it be in church, or someone mentioning God in a conversation, a song, a prayer, anything. I would get goosebumps on my arms and at some times it would be so strong, I would get them on both legs as well. I looked up goosebumps online and found that you can't make yourself get them, and yes of course temperature changes and such cause them as well, but mine were in direct relation with spiritual activities. After a lot of searching I am convinced that it is indeed the Holy Spirit. Sometimes I will get goosebumps and burst into tears at the same time. This started happening at a time in my life where I was deciding that doing things my way was not working and I decided to give it all to God. I was a christian since I was 14 but I believe I was born again in 2008. Now I live my life for God, whereas before I thought I was in control of my life. After I made this decision I started getting the goosebumps.
  8. mask

mask Guest

hi!

i am very curious about all faiths. i do not belong to any, although i do have my own ideas of what the 'after life' is.

i have not thought to seek out a chat room like this on the internet before, but as i have done so, i'd like to ask a few questions, if people wouldn't mind answering them.

i, for some reason feel the urge to cry when i think about the possibilities that could be in the 'after life'. i have seen people's replies to similar posts, but as someone who is not a christian as such, or a member of any faith, why do i feel the urge to cry? if it is a result of spirituality, why is it nessescarily the christian faith causing this? for all i know, it could be another.

what is 'God' exactly? is he believed to literaly be a man? is he an energy? was 'God' described as a man at the time the bible was written to make it easier for people to relate to him? where is he? where is heaven? people if i asked a person on the street, they'd point upward. that's not enough for me as i know it can't be that straight forward.

if everything was created by 'God', and not a single speck of dirt, or even empty space can exist without him/her/it, who created him/her/it?

'the lord works in mysterious way' just isn't enough for me. christians must have had these questions, and had them answered.

i do not mean to be dissrespectful with any of my questions. i admire any person who can devote themselves so wholy to something a myserious as faith.

please help me by answering any of my questions that you can. please base the answers on your knowlage as a christian, not your own opinions, as it is answers from christianity that i seek.

thank you.
  9. Zipster

Zipster Captain Controversy Staff Member

I will do my best to answer your questions. =)

I cannot say for sure. It could be the Holy Spirit convicting you, it could be your own emotions. I really am not able to decipher feelings.

No one can describe God as he "exactly" is, for God is greater than can be comprehended. Any idea - though accurate in some regards - we have of God is ultimately insufficient and inferior to Him as He is.

God is Spirit, God is Truth, God is Love, God is Holy, God is Mysterious, God is Infinite, God is Wise, God is omnipotent, God is omnipresent, God is omniscient, God is immutable, God is transcendent, God is immanent, God is sovereign, God is Just, God is Faithful, God is Triune, God is Good, God is independent, God is self-sufficient, God is the beginning, God is the end, God is eternal. God Is.

In His words to Moses, in which God reveals himself to Moses through the Burning Bush, God reveals himself as "I am that I am"

The Hebrew, "ehyeh asher ehyeh" have many translations, with the traditional being "I am that I am." Other translations, however, also give excellent insight. Some of these are:

"I will be what I will be"
    "I cause to be what Is"
    "I am the one who Is"
    "I am being"

God is all of that, and more - for, as I said, one cannot fully comprehend, or understand God; the finite mind cannot fully know an infinite being. But, God has also revealed much about himself to us, as I hope you can see.

No, God is not literally a man, in that He is not human. He is not some old guy sitting in the clouds with a huge beard. He has no form, no flesh. He is Spirit.

He, however, does reveal himself as a man, in the terms of he is of male gender in all of his revelation.

No - he is not something that can be harnessed, or tapped into by any human efforts.

Man is created in God's image, and thus we share certain similarities. However, God has used anthropomorphism as a means to communicate with us. I, for instance, do not believe God has a literal arm, but often times God says he will stretch out his arm and do something. This, I believe, is to be understood as God will 'reach out' and become involved with said situation.

God, however, does have emotions, can speak, is personal, is relational, He has desires, a mind, can speak, and hear. So, in that way, he is very much like us - just on an infinite scale.

God is in Heaven - or, more specifically, the Third Heaven (the third heaven is what you typically envision as heaven; the first heaven is the sky above you, and the second heaven is outer space). He, however, is also omnipresent, so in that sense, God is right beside you.

(The Third) Heaven is not in this universe - it is beyond it; in another dimension, or realm, if you will. It is not a physical place, and thus holds no place in the space-time-continuum. It is a spiritual place.

God is the Uncaused Cause. He has no beginning, and he has no end; he is infinite and eternal. As He says, "I AM" - implying a constant state of existence.

The idea that everything must have a beginning is true when applied to the physical universe. Nothing is eternal within this universe, everything has had a beginning, and (as the 2nd law of Thermodynamics proves) everything will have an end. These laws apply only to the physical universe, however.

For, God is outside of Time, and outside of space. He transcends the natural laws, and has even set them in motion. God has had no beginning, has had no creator. He did not create himself - he has simply always Been, and always will be. He is independent, self-sufficient, eternal and infinite.

Indeed, God does work in very mysterious ways. However, just because He does so is not a sufficient reason for people to use it as a cop-out answer.

You have in no way been disrespectful. Faith is, indeed, mysterious. But, once one has truly encountered God, things are completely different.

I hope I have helped you, and have answered your questions.
  10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. i wouldn't say that i am converted, but i do have a bit more of an understanding.

i do struggle with some of it though. i believe it is written in the bible that the earth is at the center of the universe, and that planets and the sun revolve around it. even the most devoted of christians must know this isn't the case. if this is something known to be a flaw, then what else is? i wouldn't know what to take as litteral, and what to take as metaphoric. i suppose there may be mistakes made in translation.

is the garden of eaden to be taken literaly? is the theory of evolution dismissed by christians because it contridicts the bible?

Thanks Again!
  11. Iceman

Iceman New Member

Those are some big questions :)

And Christianity is of course split on the answers. The Catholic and Orthodox churches are happy with science. Protestants are split well enough that you could consider them 50/50. Half advocating that science and religion agree, half saying the bible must be able to dictate to science.

In this link I've written a blog on this topic.

Long answer short though, I don't think anyone seriously believes the world is the centre of the universe, nor is evolution a critique on God is anyway. The two are not mutually exclusive.

As for the Genesis story, I believe there are two genesis narratives in the bible, and that they are allegorical. Not literal. We have a thread on it. You can read it here.
  12. xspinningisfun

xspinningisfun Well-Known Member

Yes, I was slained in the Holy Spirit in December. Right before, like 5 people were surrounding me praying, and all of a sudden I got emotional and was crying. Not just silent tears...but big sobs. I have no idea why I was, and then I just got slained. Next thing I knew, my knees buckled beneath me and I fell backwards and people caught me. It was an amazing experience.

I think the Holy Spirit is just THAT powerful that it just leads you to tears. Because I def didn't know why I was crying, but I sure was.
  13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you, Iceman, for answering my question.

so, is every story in the bible a metaphore?

i can see how it wouldn't be important for christians to know this. the story of David and Goliath, for example, is a story of a good, small power overcoming an evil, greater power. this is the case no matter what the event is from which it origionates.

if every story is a metaphore, then i suppose it leaves the door wide open to interpretation, yes?
  14. Iceman

Iceman New Member

No, not every story in the bible is a metaphore, and where it is a metaphore, quite often it's designed for a specific message.

This is where biblical scholarship and theology become disciplines. Learning to read the text, find the meanings, and ultimatly understand the scripture.

However opinions do vary. Some Christians do advocate that the bible is in fact completely true and therefore there is no level of interpretation, others will advocate that the entire bible is allegorical, and as you said, opens the door to limitless interpretation. I do not fall into either catagory and would usually be very critical of those approaches.

I believe it is part of the Christian mission to try and understand the scripture. Not to just be told what it means.

It's not an easy task, and it is often very confronting. Usually we encounter a God or Jesus that we never expected and that can make demands on what you want Jesus to be.

But ultimately I think it is a rewarding task.
  15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

ok, that makes sense.

i'm able to relate to the bible as my interpretation of it is different to what it used to be. i'm not 'bible literate', but i do know the general gist of it. my take on it would be very different to christians, but i do take comfort in knowing my thoughts aren't a million miles away.

thanks for all your help.
  16. sonofason

sonofason Guest

I believe it is the Holy Spirit. Perhaps all Christians do not feel the same thing. But I do.
  17. Loved

Loved New Member

Yes He does - sometimes it's because He wants you to feel His broken Heart. The other night, He mad me weep. And I mean weep! Because he wanted me to feel the love and compassion that He has for His creation. It's normal, and once you learn to embrance it, He'll be able to work with you better :D

Davi x x x
  18. JEMT11

JEMT11 New Member

On numerous occasions the spirit's led me to cry.

Crying is the bodies way of expressing and venting its pent up feelings.

Sometimes when I'm in a spiritual battle or like you said, for no reasons (like when I'm listening to a beautiful song) I'll cry and just feel the warmth of God's presence and just know it will be alright.

Actually, haha, recently I was watching Transformers with my friends and this song came on (listed below) and while it has nothing to do with God, it just touched me and made me think of how great and awesome God is.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H0JDomv8ac]YouTube - ‪Transformers: The Score - Arrival To Earth‬‎[/ame]
  19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I too experience the feeling of overwhelming emotion and welling up of tears and I do attribute this to the Holy Spirit. One of my first recollections of it happening was some years ago when I was watching some television documentary that showed an image of the Veil of Turin. I have had it many times since and only with respect to topics relating to God or Jesus Christ or the Word of God. I came to understand it as the Holy Spirit indicating to me the Truth and my soul acknowledging that truth with a manifestation of emotion. I had always studied the Bible and been exposed to Christianity from kindergarten through college, but it was not until years later as an adult when I experienced the Holy Spirit within me that I really knew with 100% certainty that the Word of God is the Truth and Jesus Christ is the Messiah.
  20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Why we cry when in presence of the holyspirit

In answer to your question why we cry when in presence of God,It happens to me and if you listen to your inner voice at that moment it tells you that you are nearing the presence of GOD,and feeling the purity of your state of mind,and understanding that we have sinned so many times and don't deserve his presence, We become overwhelmed and start to cry out of shame.

Its a sense of a child that did something shameful and still his parents forgave him,We cry because we feel sorry,at the same time happy to be home in Christ which we missed a lot.

Sometimes we cry because our sinful nature flashes in our mind and we cry for help, or simply because the purity and peace and calm, which is in the presence of the Holy Spirit is so overwhelming that our emotions give out and express joy the tears can be just tears of joy, experiencing that which can't be bought and which has the most pleasant calming feeling.

These are some of the reasons I believe we cry when we experience the Holy spirit